top of page
  • Writer's pictureLawrence Lore

First School in St. Francisville

Sept 11, 1902 Lawrenceville Republican St Francisville: School began Monday with an enrollment of 141 pupils. .... The Catholic Sisters will open their school Sept 15. ...The physician (not named) reported 3 cases of typhoid fever. (Hopefully, this last sentence had nothing to do with the opening of school.)


(History of Edwards, Lawrence and Wabash, page 287) "About 1840 (Father) Decudra, a Catholic priest built a frame school house in which a free school was taught by two nuns. He subsequently sold it and a public school building was put up, which served its purpose until 1873 when the present one was erected."


In researching the school history of St. Francisville three early deeds were found which confirm this sequence of events although the dates vary somewhat.


Book D-1 page 507 January 14, 1843 Henry and Susannah Ramsey King transferred to Father Decundra Lot 99 in the town of St Francisville.


Book F pages 67-68 August 26, 1848 Francis Tugaws (sic) to the School Directors of Distict No 1, (T2N, R11W) to transfer lot #106 on the town Plat for the purpose of erecting a school house. (Witnessed by Wm. R. Jackman and G. F. Bigelow.)


Book 4-page 346 July 25, 1874 Wm and Rebecca Johnson of Wabash Co, to the school trustees lots 109 & 110 for $160.


(Isn't it nice when "history" agrees with primary evidence?)


150 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

July 1962

News from Lawrence County published in the Vincennes Sun Commercial July 1962 July 15 Lawrence County Circuit Court Judge, Roy O. Gulley, has indicated he will uphold the county board of school truste

Vice and Immorality

Laws of Illinois passed by the Second General Assembly at their first session commenced at Vandalia, December 4, 1820. An Act for the Prevention of Vice and Immorality Approved Jan 31

Death Records in Lawrence County

From the Illinois Secretary of State on Recordation of Deaths in Illinois The first legislation in Illinois regarding recordation of births and deaths was enacted in 1819 at the second session of the

Comments


bottom of page