

Program Monday June 22
HISTORICAL SOCIETY WILL TOUR LAWRENCEVILLE ARMORY A tour of the Lawrenceville Armory will be the special program of the Lawrence County Historical Society on Monday, June 22, 7:00 p.m. Bill Richardson, an Armory manager, will host a tour of the armory facilities and will provide a brief history of its construction and operation. The Armory opened in 1939, and served as a National Guard base for 84 years. On its closure in 2023, the State of Illinois donated the site to the

Lawrence Lore
Jun 201 min read
Notice
Due to some difficulties with our blog site, we will NOT be posting any blogs until we get that resolved. Do not re-subscribe; just be patient. If you would like to submit blogs for future publication, please send to lawrencelore@gmail.com

Lawrence Lore
Jun 161 min read


Met After Four Years
Found in the WWII Collection at the Research Library: "Omer and Leo Tewell, sons of Mrs. Grace Tewell, of South Seventh St., Lawrenceville, who until recently had not seen each other for four years, met by chance in Hawaii a few weeks ago, their mother revealed today. "Four years ago, Leo was sent to Guam Island with the Navy. Two years later Omer entered the service with the US Army, just one month before Leo arrived home on furlough. "They have tried several times to fi

Lawrence Lore
Jun 41 min read


Brother /Sister Team during WWII
Mr. and Mrs. Ben W Wilkins, of Bridgeport, had two children serving in the U.S. Armed Forces during WWII. Pvt. Arnold Wilkins was a tank driver stationed at Fort Knox having been in the service since May 27, 1943. Their daughter, Marjorie Hoffman, joined the WACs on March 5, 1943, and signed for foreign duty. She was serving at Bowman Field Louisville, Ky. doing office work for the flight officers there when this photo was taken.

Lawrence Lore
Jun 31 min read


Guy Baldwin-Veteran Marine
From the Official U S Marine Corps Photos published in a local newspaper during WWII: Somewhere in the Pacific -Back from the battle of Iwo Jima, Marine Corporal Guy Martin Baldwin, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ellis Baldwin, Lawrenceville, Rural Route 3, is a bulldozer operator with the motor transport section of a signal unit of the Fifth Amphibious Corps in a rehabilitation area. He is a veteran of the Marine operations at Saipan and Tinian. His wife June resides at 1404 South Ei

Lawrence Lore
Jun 21 min read


White Oak School 1938-1948
This photo in the newspaper was dated “1939-40 White Oak School”. This is incorrect, and is, in fact, a photo of the combined schools of Westpoint, Buckhorn and White Oak. Brad Schrader, Ed McVickar, and Mary White, teachers of West Point, Buckhorn and White Oak respectively during this year, are all in this photo. In addition, the 25 students in this photo don’t correspond with the records of the following year when Mary White had only 18 students and 6 were in the first gr

Lawrence Lore
Jun 16 min read


White Oak School- 1920s and 1930s
1927 Melvin Dale Moore Edith Highsmith taught the 1924-25 term at White Oak, while Mabel Buchanan taught the following year. The 1926 school year ushered in Ross L. Daily, who had 18 years of teaching already under his belt. While all the records cannot be located, it is believed he taught for the next twelve years with a beginning salary at $700 annually rising to $800. School occasionally had to be held on Saturday so Mr. Daily could attend to his duties as the Lukin super

Lawrence Lore
May 295 min read


White Oak School- 1913-1918
Louisa Moore The Sumner Press reported on October 9, 1913, that “the teacher of White Oak School and about 13 of his small pupils gathered at the home of Miss Louisa Moore Tuesday evening to remind her of her eighth birthday. A good supper was prepared for them of which they all did ample justice. The children amused themselves with music and out-of-door games. They departed about the hour of six leaving Miss Louisa alone with the little presents they had given her and wish

Lawrence Lore
May 282 min read


White Oak School 1910-1912
The Historical Society is in possession of several original documents entitled “Schedule of a Common School.” These are forms which were completed monthly by the teachers, listing names and ages of students, as well as the number of days they attended. A schedule for White Oak shows that there were 19 boys, and 35 girls ranging in age from 5 to 17 in grades 1-8, enrolled during the 1910 -1911 term. Grace Daily, the teacher, was paid $40 a month. The only school holidays i

Lawrence Lore
May 273 min read


White Oak School 1840-1910
There were nine schools in Lukin township: Buckhorn, Cleveland, Frogeye, Grant, Prairie, West Liberty, West Point, White Hall and White Oak. This is the story of White Oak. Located about in the center of Lukin Township, and near the Bethlehem church, it was a typical one-room school. (Some of the readers may remember that it was located east of the Saben/ Sabine White Corner, seven miles south of Sumner and a mile east of the Sumner Lancaster Road. If you have a plat map, it

Lawrence Lore
May 264 min read

