Sale of Lots in Sumner 1910
In the 1880’s, J. S. Christy owned and operated a drug store in Sumner. While primarily a drug store, the People’s Drugstore also sold paint, wallpaper, window blinds, and cigars as well as family medicine. The store slogan was “a drug store for the people, where a poor man will be treated as pleasantly as a millionaire.”
In 1910, J. S. Christy platted his apple orchard tract west of Sumner into town lots and offered them for sale, as Sumner's newest development--Christy Orchard Subdivision. In the July 14,1910 Lawrenceville Republican edition, there was a half- page ad placed by Ben Vinyard and Co, offering 53 beautiful lots to be sold at auction, by Col. Ed Beggs, Auctioneer. Each lot was 60 x 142.6 ft to an alley, with a sidewalk leading right up to the property. In addition, there were 10 large fruit bearing trees on each lot. The terms were 25% cash on the day of the auction with the balance due in 6 and 9 months, at 6% interest.
The advertisement read: "Sumner is situated in one of the richest oil districts in U.S., and an oil well is now being drilled and from all indications it will not be many weeks before a good strike is made. Everyone knows what that means as to the advance in price of real estate in that section. Now is the time to make an investment that will yield you large returns. Get in on the ground floor."
By August 11, 1910, J. S. Christy had sold lot 2, block 2, to Chas. E. Shick for $400; Lots 8 & 9, block 2, to Merritt S. Atkins for $700; and lot 5, block 2, to T. M. Stevens for $225. Two years later February 1, 1912 he sold lot 1, block 1 to Abigail Jones for $250. However by May 14, 1914, the majority of the lots still held by J. S. Christy in the Christy Orchard Subdivision still were not sold and were listed under the Delinquent Tax list published in the Lawrence County News.