top of page
  • Writer's pictureLawrence Lore

July 1962

News from Lawrence County published in the Vincennes Sun Commercial July 1962

July 15 Lawrence County Circuit Court Judge, Roy O. Gulley, has indicated he will uphold the county board of school trustees in its rejection of the Kirkwood petition for transfer of territory from the Bridgeport to the Lawrenceville High School District, Bridgeport school superintendent Don Woodard said Saturday. Woodard said Gulley told his decision in a letter to the Bridgeport school board’s lawyer, John Franklin. The county board denied the Kirkwood petition last November by a three - two vote. At the same time it denied two other petitions by a four - one vote. Judge Gulley earlier reversed the board on these last two petitions ruling for the petitioners. All three petitions were filed during a dispute over disposition of pupils from the inactive Crossroads School District.

July 15 An industrial park may be in line for George Field, termed Lawrenceville’s one real asset by the chairman of the city’s Industrial Commission. That is a result of a meeting of three Federal aviation agency officials last week with Mayor Charles Hedde, the Industrial Development Commission and the Lawrenceville Development Association. The city has been forced to look to George Field for industrial development because of the limited number of available industrial sites elsewhere. Dr. C. W. Cullison, chairman of the Industrial Commission, said the city’s best economic hope is possible utilization of the airfield. If the plan goes through, George Field would contain areas for airport, industry, agriculture, housing, and recreation facilities. Lawrenceville already is seeking help from the FAA and the Illinois Department of Aeronautics to develop George Field as a commercial airport. Several factors must be taken into consideration before the park can become a reality. The government expects all airport revenues to go toward upkeep of the airport as opposed to development of an industrial park.


July 15 Army Private William R. McClintock, 17, son of Mrs. Betty L. Westall, of Lawrenceville, has completed a five-week course in single - engine aviation at Fort Rucker, Alabama. He entered the Army last January and completed his basic training at Fort Leonard Wood.

July 17 The Sheriff’s office said burglars got little for their efforts in a daring Sunday afternoon break-in of the Allison Drive-in Theater in Westport. Authorities said the concession stand, the projection building and the office were all entered, but little was noticed missing. Locks were pried from doors and a cigarette machine was also entered, but the money had all been removed from the theater because of previous burglaries.

July 18 Members of the 4-H Federation Delegate were Pat Allender, Jane Berry, Jo Berry, Warren Engel, Don Ensor, Karen Gaither, Joan Gariepy, Emma Jane Garvey, Agnes Gognat, Philip Harbaugh, John King, Forest Lewis, Wallon Lewis, Glen Mahrenholz, Steve Mahrenholz, Mary Paddick, Larry Piper, Linda Phillips, Jim Ed Rife, Lynda Rodrick, Julie Stout, Irene Strange, the Home Advisor, Mrs. Marian Paddick, and the Farm Advisor, Hugh Livesay.

July 22 The fire chief in St. Francisville was Joe Vangilder and the assistant chief was Francis Moody.

July 28 Judy Schrader, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B. W. Schrader of Bridgeport, attended twirling and majorette camp at the Smith Walbridge Summer camp near Syracuse, Indiana. Sponsored by the Bridgeport Women’s Club, she received daily instruction in the rudiments of baton twirling and drum major work.

July 28 Two employees, Alva A. Ashcraft and Ed Lemeron, will retire from Lawrenceville plant of Texaco Inc. effective August 1, announced F. D. Door, plant manager. Mr. Ashcraft joined Texaco on January 9, 1934, and completed over 28 years of service. He attended school in Lawrenceville and entered service as a helper in the barrel house and then worked in the operating departments. He was working as a control man, fluid catalytic cracking unit, at the time of his retirement. Mr. Lemeron first joined Texaco on June 11, 1917, leaving the company but being rehired on June 1, 1933 putting in over 43 years of service. He entered as a laborer and was promoted to car repair man in December 1917. He was working as an electric welder at the time of his retirement, a job he has held since December 1946.

130 views0 comments


bottom of page