The Austin Coupe,The Volkswagon of the Depression
August 9, 1930 Daily Record
Considerable excitement and congestion of traffic at the City Hall corner (11th and State, Lawrenceville) resulted about 10:30 this morning when dozens of people gathered to inspect an Austin coupe, the baby of the motoring world. The tiny car has been seen by about 2000 people at the Wolfe Garage in St. Francisville, B.F. Wolfe estimated today, since it was driven in from the factory at Butler, Pennsylvania.
The machine is less than five feet high and about six or seven feet long. It has as much leg room inside as other coupes and the midget motor has four cylinders which propel the car with ease at a speed of 40-45 miles per hours. A speed of 50 miles an hour can be attained if necessary. On the 583- mile trip from the factory the motor used only a gallon of gasoline for every 45 miles of travel, this trip being made at an expense of $2.65 for gas.
Mr. Wolfe, who has the agency for the Austin line in this territory, has been informed to turn down numerous offers of orders until the factory attains regular production. The baby auto has attracted more attention in St. Francisville than the first car, or horseless carriage did 21 years ago.
Editor's Note: While we do not possess a photo of the "Baby Auto," readers can google Austin Coupe on the internet to see how small it really was. The company's history is also an interesting read.