top of page
  • Writer's pictureLawrence Lore

702 11th Street



Stillwell and Wright service station of the northeast side of the square. New cash register at the station in 1937; new gas pump--the first "computer" gas pump in Lawrenceville. Fire Chief gas 19 cents per gal; ethyl gas 17 cents plu 4 cent tax for a total of 21 cents.


Dec 5, 1923: The new service and filling station of the Indian Refining Co., was opened to the public. It was described as a beauty and a decided improvement over the old frame building that had occupied the corner for so many years. Courteous, competent men would be in charge and drivers would find the Indian service station more than a place for the sale of gas and oils. The free services included water, air and crank case inspection.

 

1930-July 5, 1951: Stillwell and Wright Service Station was operated here for 21 years. Under the business plan of Indian Refining Co., the station was operated on a salary basis until 1931. At that time the Texas Co. gained control of the Indian Refining Co. and the lease on the station was obtained by J. J. Stillwell and Gentry Wright. The property itself at that time was owned by Mrs. C. P. Gore and was under a long-term lease to The Texas Company.

 

1950-1958: After WWII, Veteran Paul Leach returned to Lawrence County and operated the Texaco Station at 11th and State Street, purchasing it from J J Stillwell and Gentry Wright.

 

July 1, 1958: Harry Stockfleet purchased the stock and supplies from Leach and leased the station from The Texas Company.

 

-1979: Bob Christy purchased the station from Harry Stockfleet and operated the Texaco station for 21 years. It became well known as Christy’s Texaco Station.

 

19??: Service station demolished, and the corner was purchased by Golden Rule Insurance Company Sept 4,1958.

 

Golden Rule Memorial Garden was located here until the Golden Rule/United Healthcare Company sold the location. 









152 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page