top of page

718 11th Street

East Side

718 11th Street

1972: Golden Rule Life Insurance Company was using this building for offices.

1966: The building was vacant.

1958: The Building was owned by Alex Adams.

1912-1955: The Citizens Telephone Exchange was located in this building. A.L. Maxwell was one of the main stockholders with Nina McKibbon as the assistant bookkeeper. The rental rate for rural subscribers in 1909 was $1.25 a month subject to a 25 cent discount if paid before the last of each month.

1909: A.L Maxwell built the building that is presently standing.On April 15, 1909 the Lawrenceville Republican described the new building. “It is built of brick, faced with beautiful buff colored brick set in black mortar. The building is a full two stories high and has a full basement. It is 21 x 55'.

Entering the building, one enters the hallway. To the left in front is the public waiting room. To the east of this is the toll station, fitted up with the latest improved switchboard with electric signals. Just east of this room is the manager's office and still east the Foreman's office and work room. At the front door straight up, is the stairway to the upper floor. In front are two nice, airy and light rooms occupied by the president of the company, A. L. Maxwell. Back of them is the operator's restroom, and in the farthest east the operating room.

From the first floor, going down beneath the stairway up, is the basement stairway. In the basement are the supplies all sorted in the till or drawer and conveniently arranged. The furnace, hot water, now heated by gas fed with an automatic feed so that a rise of temperature shuts off the gas or a lowering of temperature turns it on. The cable enters the building underground into the basement. The building cost $8000 and was said to be finely finished inside with the walls decorated in an artistic manner and the entire building fitted with electric and gas fixtures.


1922 The Law Office of Shaw & Huffman was over the Citizens Telephone Co.

1800’s: Research is ongoing for property owners in the 1800’s.

bottom of page