top of page

717 12th Street

West Side

Present Day: The building is vacant.

717 12th Street

1972-2000: The Ada Lee Copper Kettle was located here, owned by Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Whitmer. In 1977 the name was Ada Lee Candy and Restaurant but by 1993-2000 the name had been changed to Ada Lee Candies and Newsstand.

1956-1966: I. B. Mayfield & Son opened in the newly remodeled building in January,1956, with a stock of radios, television sets, and household appliances. In 1966, Doc Mayfield Realty was also listed as being at this location. This business was previously located at 1010 State Street.

1955: Workmen were busy remodeling the building in December of 1955, by adding a completely new front. The property had been purchased by B. N. Yosowitz from the administrator of Harry Glover’s estate. Glover had bought it from the heirs of S .J. Gee.

1911? -1950’s: After Sylvester Gee built the present building, Glover’s City Bakery and Confectionery became the first tenant. The Bakery had moved to 9th street by 1912. In 1922 Byron W. Glover worked at the Confectionary, as did Miss Audrey Glover, the daughter of George Washington Glover, who owned the establishment. Harry Glover worked at the bakery. G.W. Clover claimed that he was the first man to make and sell sandwiches in Lawrenceville, conduct the first bakery, operate the first soda fountain, and make and sell the first ice cream. He died in 1944. Harry ‘Checker’ Glover continued the business and became well known locally for his fountain Cherry cokes and his coneys covered with slaw topping. For his recipe see:

1899-1907: The G.W. Glover Restaurant operated in a frame building that was demolished before the present building was built.

About 1911 ,Sylvester Gee purchased the buildings in which Irwin Meat Market and George W. Glover operated their businesses and demolished them. These buildings were only 40’-50’ long even though the lots were 113’ 4” deep. A village ordinance in 1835 stated that all exterior ‘conveniences’ such as wood sheds, outhouses and sheds for horses had to be contained on the business lot, and could not spill over into the alleys. Gee dug basements for both of his new buildings and constructed them so as to take up the entire lots.


Present: Vacant

1922-1941: Tyler L. Andrews, an oil producer, had offices upstairs.

bottom of page