top of page

1111 State Street

North Side

1111 State Street

1996-1997: Crafts and Things Unlimited opened at this location. This business was listed in the phone book as sellers of consignment clothes and resale.

1960-1995: The store known as Delzell’s was purchased in late 1960 by Robert Herrin and Ayrol Ann Herrin who agreed to retain the name due to the long history of business on the Lawrenceville Square. The store continued the tradition of women’s ready to wear and yard goods and sewing notions with little change in the operations. In 1969 Ayrol Ann acquired her husband’s interest and then purchased the building a few years later. After taking over the management of the store, she began to update the Delzell’s image.

In 1974: there were major changes and remodeling, both to interior and the exterior. Carpet, clothing racks, shelves, office, and check- out counter were replaced; the expansion of junior sportswear replaced the yard goods and sewing area which were discontinued. In 1979 Ayrol Ann brought her daughter Deborah into the business. A gift shop was added in the basement in the 1980’s.

1937-1960: John H. Delzell and his wife Gladys bought the other interests from the partners in the Springer-Gouckenour store. A few years later they changed the name to Delzell’s. They continued to sell ready- to- wear accessories and dry goods.

1926-1937: Springer-Gouckenour was located at this location. John Delzell was a partner and manager of this Sullivan Ind, firm. Previous to that John Delzell had owned a store in Palestine.

1919-1925: G.P. Seitzinger Groceries and Cured Meat Market operated in this building. On June 11, 1919, George J. Sutter of Olney, a butcher with 30 years’ experience, purchased the meat market in the rear of G. P. Seitzinger’s grocery store and took possession. However, in June, 1920, the meat market was closed because of the ill health of George. On January 11, 1922 in the middle of winter, fresh strawberries were on display at the Seitzinger grocery store and cost one new peace dollar a box. In the fall of 1923 Seitzinger began remodeling and enlarging his grocery building.

On December 23, 1925, G. P. Seitzinger sold his grocery stock, leased his building and left for Florida. Springer-Gouckenour Co of Sullivan took possession on January 1, 1926.

1823: On January 18, 1823, Samuel Harris purchased lot 15 and the lot directly north of this one, Lot 4, for $120. This provided him with access on Sugar/State Street directly north of, and across from, the courthouse, as well as on Walnut Street to the rear of his location.

1821: This location was part of Lot 15 on the Original Plat of Lawrenceville surveyed June 27, 1821, by John Dunlap. Each of the original lots had 78’10” frontage and was 113’4” deep. Sugar Street, the name later changed to State Street, was 82 ft. wide and the alley ways were 10 ft.

bottom of page