702 11th Street
Present Day: Golden Rule Memorial Garden is located here.
19??: Service station demolished and the corner was purchased by Golden Rule Insurance Company
Sept 4,1958 -1979: Bob Christy purchased the station from Harry Stockfleet and operated the Texaco station for 21 years. It became well known as Christy’s Texaco Station.
July 1, 1958: Harry Stockfleet purchased the stock and supplies from Leach and leased the station from The Texas Company.
1950-1958: After WWII, Veteran Paul Leach returned to Lawrence County and operated the Texaco Station at 11th and State Street, purchasing it from J J Stillwell and Gentry Wright.
1930-July 5, 1951: Stillwell and Wright Service Station was operated here for 21 years. Under the business plan of Indian Refining Co., the station was operated on a salary basis until 1931. At that time the Texas Co. gained control of the Indian Refining Co. and the lease on the station was obtained by J. J. Stillwell and Gentry Wright. The property itself at that time was owned by Mrs. C. P. Gore and was under a long-term lease to The Texas Company.
Dec 5, 1923: The new service and filling station of the Indian Refining Co., was opened to the public Monday morning. It was described as a beauty and a decided improvement over the old frame building that had occupied the corner for so many years. Courteous, competent men would be in charge and drivers would find the Indian service station more than a place for the sale of gas and oils. The free service included water, air and crank case inspection.
1922: The following businesses were located in the frame buildings—some upstairs and some downstairs as well as in the basement: Dr. Charles Gore's office, Struples Millinery shop, and Sturgeons Barber Shop.
1907: Dr. Gore purchased the buildings previously occupied by Calverts’ Meat Market, and the Organ Barber shop. George Organ had previously purchased the barber shop from George Sturgeon in 1907.
Slide #8 (shown on this page) In the lower left hand side of the picture is this location. The white shed-like building is believed to have housed the Boston Shoe Shop operated by Max Freedman who had moved to 708 11th St in 1922.)In the center of photo is the wooden building that was removed to build the Texaco Service Station before Golden Rule made a garden on this corner.
1800’s: Research is ongoing for property owners in the 1800’s.