1124 Jefferson St.
1124 Jefferson Street
Present: Vacant lot (Missing Building)
About 2006 the building, then known as First Bank was torn down. Stacy Moore, branch president, tried to sell or even donate the building but the cost was more to fix it up than to build a new one. Before demolition began, a portion of the roof caved in and a section on the front of the building began to bow out. The asbestos was removed and the 8000 square foot basement was filled. The bank moved to its new facility at 1805 State St in October 2001.
1945 The name was changed to Lawrenceville National Bank and Trust Co. In 1972 the President was H.F. Tykal.
1918 The Farmer’s State Bank moved into the new building. In 1922 the officers were Leslie G. Gee President; Joseph S. Young, Jr. Vice-President; S. R. Nigh, Cashier; and H. A. Seed and L. S. Bobbitt Assistant Cashiers.
1917 The Bank building was built. For information about the second floor businesses click here.
Oct 11, 1916 Lawrenceville suffered the most disastrous fire in its history early Thursday morning when the entire block of business buildings at the corner of 12th and Jefferson burned. In the block were the Malcolm Hotel, the Fish and Highsmith Furniture Store, the John Ritter grocery, the Western Union Telegraph Office, and the Law Office of S. J. Gee & Son. The loss sustained by the various firms was estimated at $58,000.
1911 The Fish and Highsmith Furniture Store was located in corner building. The Malcolm Hotel had its entrance on 12th Street, then known as Jones Street, with rooms to rent on the second floor.The Lawrenceville Republican May 1911 “Lawrenceville's new hotel, Hotel Malcolm under the popular management of Wm. McCarthy and wife is fast gaining favor at home and abroad. This hotel is located up town and convenient to the business district and railroads. The bus lines all pass it and sample rooms are maintained in connection with the hotel. The rooms are all light and well ventilated and supplied with electric lights and hot and cold water. The Western Union has its offices in the hotel, and long-distance and local telephone privileges are supplied. In fact every convenience known in hotels is granted, (including) a finely equipped dining room with a bill of fare to tempt the most jazzy appetite. This, added to the genial treatment by the management, are making it a popular stopping place. It has become necessary to enlarge the capacity of the hotel. Mr. McCarthy has leased the residential property just by the hotel of Mr. Gordon and has thus established an "annex." Convenient and most desirable quarters are thus secured.”
1909 Slyvester Gee built a large two story building on this lot.
1908 Amanda Musgrave sold her establishment to Sylvester Gee for $5,000, who tore it down to make room for a new business building.
1892-1908 On this lot was a large home owned by Joseph and Amada Musgrave. It was used as a boarding establishment known as the Civil War Inn. When her husband died, the widow continued running an “eatery”. The Chicago Tribune published an article about her cooking on March 9, 1892 and again on October 6, 1894.
Research continues for earlier 1800 property owners.