1117 State Street
1117 State Street
At some time this building was modernized and three of the smaller buisiness locations were combined.
For the history of #1115 State Street Click here.
For the history of #1119 Click here.
1959- Present In 1959-1966 the phone book listed the business as G. C. Cochran’s Insurance and Benny L. Cochran Insurance Agency. By 1972 it was simply called Cochran Insurance Agency. G.C. Cochran & Insurance observed its 25th anniversary on February 3, 1956.
The firm originated with the purchase of the J.F. Highsmith Insurance Agency on February 3, 1931 by G. C. Cochran and his son Lyle. The first two years the agency was operated in the Gee C. Cochran home at 1413 Dubois St. moving to 707 1/2 12th St. on December 16, 1933 when the D.R. Fish and Son Agency at that address was purchased.
In 1947 G.C. Cochran passed away and his son Lyle took over full operation retaining the same firm name. In May 1953 Benny L. Cochran, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Cochran, returned from serving in the Army in Korea and joined the agency on August 1, 1954. The Newell Agency, formerly the J.E. Lemmons Insurance Agency which had been established about 1894, was purchased by Benny L. Cochran and operated in the name of Benny L. Cochran Insurance Agency.
1956 Central Tavern was located here.
1924-1942 On April 24, 1924 Sterling Pinkstaff purchased the Central Cafe from Hershel Smith who had operated the business for a number of years.
1823 On January 18, 1823, Samuel Harris purchased lot 15 and the lot directly north of this one, Lot 4, for $120. This provided him with access on Sugar/State Street directly north of, and across from, the courthouse, as well as on Walnut Street to the rear of his location.
1821 This location was part of Lot 15 on the Original Plat of Lawrenceville surveyed June 27, 1821, by John Dunlap. Each of the original lots had 78’10” frontage and was 113’4” deep. Sugar Street, the name later changed to State Street, was 82 ft. wide and the alley ways were 10 ft.