1107 State Street

1107 State Street

​​

1993-Present Tykals American Bar is  located here.

 

1972-1976   Underwoods’ Bootery sold shoes at this location.

 

1966 Vacant

 

1954 -1959 The Fashion Shop was located in this building. Mrs.Gladys Hedde had purchased the Fashion Shop in 1954 when the business was to be liquidated.  In the fall of 1957, Ms. Hedde planned to sell the shop or move it to the Gift and Baby shop she owned on the Southwest corner of the square so she started a closeout sale.   Mrs. Pauline Vinsel decided to acquire the business. On January 23, 1958 Mrs. Hedde sold the fashion shop to Mrs. Pauline Vinsel. it then became known as Pauline's.

 

1909- 1943 Through the years Carl Busse and later his son Lyman  sold a variety of goods, hardware, sporting goods, luggage, household Items, and farm supplies. The store also sold Flash Dog Food which was manufactured by the Busse’s in Lawrenceville.  In 1909 he  did shoe and harness repair.  In 1922 Busse advertised in the phone book that he sold automobile accessories and bicycles as well as harness.  In 1923 the store advertised the largest and best display in Southern Illinois of all electric appliances.  Mr Bussee also did house wiring and repaired  appliances.  

      On Lyman Busse’s death, his widow was forced to hold a close- out sale in March of 1943. Rather than dispose of the stock to outside brokers, she made arrangements with Mr. Abernathy to open the store and let the people of Lawrence County take advantage of buying needed supplies at bargain prices. As this was during the war, merchandise was scarce. Mr. Abernathy assisted by Paul Winbun, an experienced hardware salesman, rearranged the stock and opened the doors on Friday morning at 9:00.  Among the items for sale were a complete line of small hardware, sporting goods, athletic equipment, luggage, horse collars and part of harness, garden tools, pains, varnishes, and various items of electric equipment.

 

1909 Carl Busse had a harness shop here.  In the summer of 1909 Carl made extensive repairs and improvements to his building by extending  the present building to the alley in the rear, a distance of 53 feet, and making the entire building two stories.  A plate glass front was installed and the upstairs was made into an apartment for Mr. Busse and his family.

 

Upstairs

 

1972 Thomas J. Underwood lived upstairs in the apartment.

 

1956-1966  Mrs. Verna Busse resided upstairs as did Frank Smith, James Asmore and Goldia Latham in 1966.

 

1940 Noah Cambell operated a barbershop upstairs. He is the man  in the center, shown in the sepia photograph on this page. The black and white photograph shows him at age 45 with Gene Singer in the chair.    

 

1922 Lyman L Busse lived upstairs. 

     Call us:

618-943-3870

         or

618-943-2761

  • Wix Facebook page

© Lawrence County Historical Society 2019

Created by W3 Productions

Campbell Barber Shop